Wednesday 9 January 2013

winter garden blues


This is my first Winter as a gardener and I feel like I was wholly unprepared for it. The garden is lacking a strong structure and I definitely need to invest in some more evergreens for next year so that the garden will look less bare during this bleak time. My two front borders, which I look out on from every room of my house, are particularly stark and depressing.

The two front borders, looking bare this Winter

A peek in to my neighbour's garden below shows how a few shrubs and a nice pot, which give the garden height, really help the garden to retain its bones and keep it looking good during Winter.

A view into my neighbour's garden

It's not all bad news though, there are a few plants in my garden that are particularly shining this Winter. The lack of competition only helps these beauties stand out all the more.

Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea' in front of Cornus alba 'Sibirica'

 Winter Jasmine Jasminum nudiflorum

The first buds of Mahonia × media 'Winter Sun'

2 comments:

  1. Your garden look like its has a lovely start. Winter is the certainly the best time to assess structure. I look forward to seeing more in warmer months!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie, thanks for the comment, it really does mean a lot that you read the post as I'm just getting to grips with blogging (and gardening for that matter!) so appreciate you taking the time to reply. Yes, I have lots to plan over the next few months but that's all part of the excitement isn't it.

      Thanks again,

      Chelsea

      Delete